Many people have heard of virgin coconut oil soap, but it's a best-kept secret that this natural and inexpensive product makes a superb treatment for acne.
Most people who have struggled with acne for years are used to buying "oil reducing" formulas, but the question is, has that strategy worked? Virgin coconut oil heals the skin and never strips it. It's a leap of faith that people take, usually with surprisingly positive results!
The active ingredient that makes virgin coconut oil soap so effective is lauric acid, which has anti-microbial, anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-itch properties.
With loads of vitamin E and anti-oxidant activity this soap doubles as an anti-aging therapy and facial moisturizer. It also helps to heal skin abrasions and irritations. All these features contribute to the fighting power of virgin coconut oil soap against acne.
How to use virgin coconut oil soap for acne
- First, clean the face with a tonic made for skin affected by acne, then rinse thoroughly.
- Lightly pat face dry and run a few drops of water over the coconut oil soap, just enough for a mild lather.
- Next, gently lather the coconut oil soap into the face, in circular motions. Allow lather to set in skin for approximately 20 seconds.
- Gently rinse the face with splashes of water and pat dry again.
Adding Pure Virgin Coconut Oil
Some may opt to add a thin layer of coconut oil after this, massaging gently into the face. Again, it may seem counter-intuitive to put oil on a face that suffers from acne, but all those healing properties of lauric acid are in the pure oil as well.
- Use this same set of procedures for acne on the back or any other area of the body.
- Use the coconut oil soap and optional oil at least 15 minutes before bed.
What to expect from coconut oil soap
Once the healing and detoxifying powers of lauric acid go to work, toxins and microbes from deep within the skin may seep out. This can sometimes cause the skin to appear more oily for a short period of time (no more than a week), but this is a small sacrifice for the long-term results of beautiful, healthy and clear skin.
Coconut oil soap tricks the face into thinking it has enough oil, so that skin begins to produce less of its own.
It does not change the PH balance of the face, and works well for all skin types. Because of this, it's non irritating.