Hair loss can happen due to nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalances, stress, poor hair care and even extreme weight loss.
Although the average hair fall is 100 strands per day, it can be alarming if your hair starts to fall out way too often and in bunches.
To prevent hair loss, you need to understand what causes it in the first place. Let’s get you started with our top five natural solutions to effectively and immediately stop hair loss.
Soak up some rays
Did you know that deficiencies in certain vitamins can be manifested by hair loss?
Studies show that hair loss is triggered by a deficiency in vitamin D, which is essential in keeping your bones healthy and your immune system strong through the absorption of calcium and phosphorus. Vitamin D also protects your brain against aging and your body from dreaded diseases such as cancer and diabetes.
Fix your vitamin D imbalances naturally by getting as much sunlight as you can. All you need is mild sun exposure to boost your supply of vitamin D, to help bring your hair back. Wake up early and step outside in the morning, and bask in sunlight for at least 20 to 25 minutes. It is considered safe to expose yourself to the morning sun as the sun rays between 10 AM to 4 PM are the hottest.
Other ways you can replenish vitamin D naturally is through your diet. Fatty fish, tuna, oranges, and liver are great sources of vitamin D.
If you want to stop hair fall, first ask yourself if you are stressed.
Stress can be caused by many factors. It can be external, such as major changes in your life, work, and relationships. The causes can also be internal, such as chronic worrying or pessimism.
If you can’t handle your stress well, it can lead to certain side effects, including hair loss. But the good thing about stress-related hair loss is that it is manageable, and does not need to be permanent.
Preventing hair loss caused by stress starts with a mental makeover.
- Sleep well for a rested mind. Get into a regular sleeping pattern, this means waking up and going to bed at the same time every day. Aim for seven to eight hours for a rejuvenated mind the next day.
- Eat properly. When your body is healthy and energized, you can cope with your stress better. Diet plays a significant role in the health of your hair, making it less likely to fall out or become brittle.
- Exercise more. During exercise, your body releases happy hormones called endorphins, which can calm and relax you. Go jogging, biking, or even dancing. Aside from putting a smile on your face, exercise can help you grow your hair back.
- Learn how to meditate. Sign up for meditation classes and learn the different ways you can achieve your Zen, whether you are at home or at work. Yoga classes are also great places to learn meditation.
You can remove the stress from your tresses by gaining a new perspective in life.
You are what you eat. Here are some ways to incorporate hair-healthy food ideas in your diet.
- Spinach. Iron deficiency causes hair fall. Spinach is loaded with iron and vitamin A required for sebum production, which conditions hair. Other health benefits include omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium and potassium to keep your scalp healthy and your hair shiny.
- Carrots. Aside from being good for your eyes, vitamin A in carrots stimulates hair growth. It strengthens hair strands and keeps it from breaking or falling.
- Dairy products. Milk, cheese, yogurt, and eggs contain iron, zinc, and omega-6 fatty acids that are all known to fight hair loss. Dairy products are also rich in biotin, which prevents hair fall.
- Oats and grains. These breakfast staples are rich in omega-6 fatty acids and can promote hair growth. Polyunsaturated fatty acids innate in oats and grains are also known to make hair thicker.
- Walnuts. Another source of biotin, walnut can effectively prevent hair loss. It is also rich in vitamins B, B1, and B9, magnesium and vitamin E to protect cells from sun damage and nourishes the hair and scalp.
- Lentils. Aside from biotin, lentils also contain folic acid that restores the health of red blood cells, which assist in the movement of oxygen to your skin and scalp.
A diet rich in vitamin C is also good for your hair since vitamin C supports the absorption of iron. Orange and lemon juice are known for its antioxidant properties, which can reduce hair damage caused by free radicals.
If you notice hair fall or other signs of unhealthy hair, such as brittle and thinning hair, check your diet. You can work on keeping your hair happy and healthy by changing the way you eat.
Practice better hair care
How to reduce hair fall starts by knowing how to take care of your hair properly.
Avoid tight hairstyles. When hair is pulled too tight, it can cause a reaction called traction alopecia or the gradual hair loss from the scalp due to constant hair pulling. There are many ways you can style your mane minus the discomfort and application of force.
Dry your hair first before tying or styling it. Capillary pores open when your hair is wet, which can lead to hair loss. Let your hair dry naturally for healthy locks. Blow dry hair using the coolest setting and keep the dryer a few inches away from your hair.
Avoid applying excessive heat on your hair. Heat from flat irons and curlers weaken your hair, leading to easy breakage and dull hair. Hair can worsen when these tools are used regularly.
Get a head massage. Stimulate circulation in your scalp by massaging it for a few minutes every day. This keeps your follicles active for healthy hair growth.
Use all-natural ingredients in hair products
Some shampoos and conditioners may contain harmful ingredients, such as Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS), Phthalates, mineral oils and alcohol that can irritate your scalp and make your hair lose vitality. The same goes for hair dyes and other chemical hair treatments.
You can reduce the amount of chemicals you put on your hair by choosing products made with ingredients found in nature. Active ingredients sourced from plants and herbs, such as noni enzyme and virgin coconut oil are safe, gentle, and will work to keep your hair and scalp healthy.
Shop Biconi’s natural hair care products to revitalise your scalp from deep within and for healthy, shiny hair all day long.